Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The world is small (part 2)


Okay so I got to start with Part 2 of the Story
The incident described in Part 1 was of 1996 when we were in Rajkot.  Since my Father was in a transferable job, we stayed in Rajkot till June 2000 and then shifted to Surat.

Surat - the city of Diamonds, the City of Textiles and the city of filthy rich people.  I started my college from there. There is a famous saying: “Surat nu Jaman and Kashi nu maran” There is a huge variety of desi junk that one can get in Surat starting from Cold Coco, Locho, Khamani, Dhokla, Half fry samosa, Dry kachoris, Collegeian to name a few.
I was very happy with the new city we had shifted to, the college I was in, because I got made very good friends there, shall discuss about them later on. I reached the 3rd year of my graduation. We had an internship of one and a half month in one of the hospitals selected by our College. I-Nidhi Shukla, Shikha Mehra,(a very good friend of mine),Kruti Desai and Manju Srivastav were assigned Mahavir Cardiac Hospital (one of the first Cardiac hospitals in South Gujarat at that time, i.e.: Dec 2003). Once done with our internships we had our Presentations for the same in the last semester. Of all the presentations, I happened to like the practical Diet tips that the students of Nirmal Children Hospital had presented, because they were very easy to instruct  and implement (Here, I got to tell you that I did my Graduation with Foods and Nutrition as a Major)
I liked the tips so much that I decided to undergo an internship under the Dietician of Nirmal Children Hospital, Ms Sheetal Chhaya.
Shikha, Manju and Pallavi(another very good friend of mine) also expressed their desire to accompany me. As I was the one most keen to join in, just after 2 days of my Graduation final exams, I reached Nirmal Hospital, spent some time in the waiting area (doing nothing, I wish they had kept some good Magazines in the waiting area). Finally my turn came and I met Ms.Sheetal Chhaya, who agreed instantly, to be our Guide during the internship but as we were college pass-outs, the maximum time we could join in as interns was 15 days. She also agreed to give us a Certificate from the hospital which mattered a lot to all of us! (And was like a huge favour during that phase) I agreed, because I felt that if I got to learn something from this lady I should grab the most of whatever time that I get.
Another reason for that was, I felt at ease with her the very instant I saw her.
We started our internship from the very next day, morning 10:30 {Pallavi got late...Aah! that was her habit since the very first day of First year...Old habits die hard. . . }Although we had joined in as interns and were supposed to study only Diet related to the particular hospital; we found that Sheetal Chhaya Mam every now and then told us many important things that would be helpful to us for our Entrance exams for MSc. (She also gave us few books of hers which we kept with us, till we were done with our exams
J )
Once when Madam was giving us tips to build our Resume’, she mentioned that she had also worked as an ADHOC Lecturer in Rajkot for a few years. As it is if you meet someone from the city where you’ve spent your childhood, it makes you Overjoyed....and Rajkot for sure was a city of delight, a city where you shall find all smiling faces, even unknown passers-by would smile at you (ekdum dilse). So that was it, we started discussing how Rajkot was better than Surat in few respects and vice-versa (a typical discussion
that happens when 2 people have stayed in the same city previously) This was the 8th day of our internship. Every day I used to come back and note down what all, we had learnt plus prepare for entrances. {I also used to write poems during those few years..}
One night I was sitting in my Balcony with the books ..Not Studying At All (my balcony is the most beautiful place on earth because hardly twelve feet from our building was the flowing Tapti river, our colony and the river were separated by just one big, huge - boundary wall..that was a sight at any time of the day or night!
I was thinking about my schooldays and something started disturbing me from within...Few more moments and; I got reminded of the dull, gloomy, horror-show wala home that I had been to, when in Rajkot - way
back in 1996 (my 8th std) and then I could relate it with the present day scenario and I was stupefied. .I could now actually get who this lady was..About whom I kept wondering for many years, when ever I  passed by her building, but never dared to go to her place.
I got ready very early the next morning, reached the hospital - even before Madam, and the moment she arrived the first thing that I asked her was, “Mam do you remember two small girls whom you had met at the post-office” and the answer was just what I had thought, Madam took not more than 2 seconds to recall the incident and exclaimed, “Accha woh tum thi!”
She kept mum for a few seconds and said, “I always used to think about those 2 little girls, and wondered how easily they came to my place, and then suddenly looked confused and wanted to go back, and then never came back”.
And then for few minutes we both sat, recalled the incident and kept wondering over the fact, that the world is indeed very small! We both kept wondering over the fact that Who was she! (Madam about me and me about Madam) And see this is how the riddle got solved... after 7 years!

With that, I end the part 2 of the story here, hope to recall some other incidences and pen them down. .
hei hei!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! this really happenend. Amazing. There is no such thing as coincidence I am told

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing incident... U should start writing novels.. u got tht skill... hope to c mre of ur writings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. world is so small!!!!
    m amazed by your story
    hope to read more such stories from you
    your life's been interesting i suppose

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you..Drop in a comment here or mail me at dietician.nidhipandey@gmail.com